Home
Builder Search
Builder Login
KitLog.com    

RECENT ACTIVITY

Previous Builder          Next Builder

Builder:
  Douglas Kupersmith
Location:
  Annandale, VA - USA
Aircraft:
  Zodiac 650 B
Total Build Hours:
  1262
Web Site:
  http://www.mykitlog.com/kuperda/

Date:  05-22-2019
Number of Hours:  4.00
Short Description:  Elevator Control Cables: Part 1

Started the day by checking rudder cable tension. No overnight stretch which is a good thing. Disconnected both rudder cables to make them slack for room through the belly access hatch for eventual aileron cable safety wiring.

Began work on the elevator cables. Initially I spent some time figuring out how to lock the elevator in neutral. Easy to do with a couple of bar clamps. Next I worked on the elevator cable connections in the cockpit. To do this I needed to remove the stick from the aileron torque tube. With the stick removed I was able to access the up-elevator cable attach point way down at the bottom of the torque tube channel. Luckily, I left ample slack in my control hangrip wire bundle which allowed me to pull the stick all the way out of the channel.

At this point, I built up the cable attachment for the up-elevator shackle which attaches to the stick. Three swages later and I attached the cable to the lower end of the stick (Image 2). Next, I finalized the down-elevator turnbuckle by tightening the shackle assembly and adding a cauter pin to it. I reinstalled the stick back onto the airleron torque tube, a somewhat challenging process involving a bushing, a bolt, a washer, and a nut in a tiny space. Cockpit end complete.

In the aft end, I decided to cut the cable of the up-elevator turnbuckle to take up the cable slack at the turnbuckle instead of trying to do this from the control stick where the stick wasn't even attached while connecting the cable. Temporarily attached the shortened cable to the up-elevator turnbuckle using a cable clamp and briefly installed the saddle to make sure there was ample clearance for the turnbuckle. Looks good, so I called it a day.




Figured out a way to keep the elevator centered for cable tensioning.





Installed both elevator cables on the stick.





Testing the saddle to ensure ample clearance for the up elevator turnbuckle.

Previous Builder          Next Builder




 Recent Builder Activity
Builder Project Date Hours
Darrel Watson
S7 Super Sport
06-17
993
Norris Brown
RV10
06-17
489
Rick McBride
RV-10
06-17
896
Edward Beam
RV14A
06-16
Jonathan Mulder
RV-14A
06-16
589
Larry Rhoads
Sopwith Baby
06-16
1949
Mark Spedding
Cozy IV
06-16
1603
Phil Risley
RV9
06-16
715
Randy Doughty
CH750 Cruzer
06-16
434
Robert Lussow
RV-10
06-16
2190
Ronald Machisen
RV-14A
06-16
366
Sean Smith
CX5
06-16
345
Thomas Hudgins & Carroll Drake
Ridge Runner 3
06-16
387
Bob Collins
RV-12iS
06-15
554
Bob Corriveau
RV-8
06-15
1129
Brian Perry
RV-14a
06-15
186
David LeFrancois
Cozy MKIV
06-15
708
DOUG WEHRLY
Sling 2
06-15
682
Jay Johnson
CH-750 Cruzer
06-15
1272
Martin Filiatrault
RV-8
06-15
1779
Peter Dailey
Sonex XenosB
06-15
1169
Russ Karnap
RV-7A
06-15
533
Andrey Piskarev
Highlander
06-14
694
David Macdonald
RV-10
06-14
2449
Franklin Gaxiola
RV-12iS
06-14
3341
Jim Novak
RV-8
06-14
1849
John Nate
Defiant
06-14
424
Mike Crowley
Savannah S
06-14
548
Mike Hardison
RV7
06-14
1258
Phill Smith
scratch built
06-14
306

Projects Uploaded: 1450
Logs Uploaded: 247425








Copyright © 2001-2019 Matronics. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy.