KitLog pro

Powered By Kitlog Pro v2.0

Building Integrity
' style=
Date:  2-23-2018
Number of Hours:  0.00
Manual Reference:  ch 9
Brief Description:  A long day without conclusion 2

continued...

Now, a while back, I wrote a log entry about my brakes locking up when they got hot and it took some real digging to find the issue. That issue being a poorly machined A1 Axle from Matco. Because I don't have a lathe to fix the axle, I opted for simply removing some material on the brake housing bracket instead. Now that I'm installing new brakes, I went ahead and made the modification ahead of time. This mod is definitely one I encourage all Matco brake owners to do as well. Simply taking a dremel at an angle, grind away a small bevel on the bracket side that sits up against the axle. This allows enough clearance for expansion when the parts get hot and resolves the Lock-up issue I was having.
So now, after torqueing all my bolts on the good brake assembly, I modified my heat shields to fit as well. I then assembled them together and re-installed the brake lines to the new calipers. It was then time to pack the new wheel bearings with grease and install the wheels and tires. The tires and tubes went on effortlessly using vaseline as always and were inflated to 75lbs.
Because I plan to flip this bird back over on her feet tomorrow or Sunday, I went ahead and installed both wheels and brakes, knowing I'll have to pull the broken one off to replace the pad when it arrives. Not a big deal though.
' style=

Before and after torqueing

Before and after torqueing

' style=

Broken pad from Matco

Broken pad from Matco

' style=

This one is duunnn.

This one is duunnn.

' style=










Copyright © 2001-2021 Matronics. All Rights Reserved.