KitLog pro

Powered By Kitlog Pro v2.0

Building Integrity
' style=
Date:  2-23-2018
Number of Hours:  7.00
Manual Reference:  ch 9
Brief Description:  A long day without conclusion

Over the years, I've learned things about the Matco products that have allowed me to understand where the failure points are. Some of these being manufacturing slop and others just carelessness on their part. Today was all about that.
The day began by removing the old wheels and brakes, and grinding down the gear legs to accept the larger brake system. A large electric belt grinder was the perfect tool for the job. As soon as I was able to get a nice 1/16" gap all around the gear leg, I was able to start installing the new wheels and brakes.
I started by going over my new brakes and noticed 2 major Matco flaws, both of which could have caused a serious accident. The first was a broken pad. The liner was split right at the rivet, which means that the rivet was over-squeezed at the factory and split the pad. Had it not fallen apart in front of me, it may have on the ramp somewhere. The second issue was even worse. I noticed one of the nord-lock washers on the brake assembly wasn't completely closed or "locked". This led me to open the manual and find what the torque spec was for this part. I found the spec was 120in. lbs. When I went to torque the bolts, all of them were torqued to only 60lbs!!! Someone assembling these brakes is obviously not even paying attention, let alone using a torque wrench. All this is to say, check everything and don't trust Matco will!
Now, onto the next lesson learned...
' style=

Gear Legs ground down

Gear Legs ground down

' style=

Dremel mod

Dremel mod

' style=

New bevelled radius

New bevelled radius

' style=










Copyright © 2001-2021 Matronics. All Rights Reserved.