I had planned to assemble the leading edge today, but checking the build manual, prepping the wing skins is the next step after finishing the tank. I't'll be a nice change of pace to work on something flat. :O)
All four skins for the left wing have been drilled previoiusly. Since the lower skins were already off the wing I started with those. I first de-vinlyled the exterior of lower inboard skin. I should have waited until I had prepped and primed the interior to minimize scratchng.
I next completely stripped the vinyl off the interior of the lower outboard skin, then deburred, prepped and primed the rivet lines. The big part of the prep on this skin is beveling the interior surface of the portion that overlaps the inboard skin. I used a combination of vixen file, 80- and 100-grit sandpaper on a sanding block, scotchbrite, and elbow grease. The vixen file puts deep scratches in the sheet that are difficult to remove, so I won't be using it for this job again. (Maybe it's time to invest in a hand-held belt sander).
I finished the day by deburring then scuffing the interior rivet lines of the lower inboard skin. This skin underlaps the lower outboard skin, so it will get the exterior beveled instead of the interior.
Interior of left lower outboard wing skin prepped and primed.
Interior of left lower inboard wing skin scuffed and ready for cleaning and priming.
Exterior of left lower inboard wing skin devinyled.