KitLog pro

Powered By Kitlog Pro v2.0

Building Integrity
' style=
Date:  12-8-2014
Number of Hours:  3.00
Manual Reference:  ch 9
Brief Description:  A clue my dear Watson!

Well well well, the culprit has been found! a GIANT split in the tube directly related to a pinch from the wheel halves. This tube has probably been this way for a LONG time and there must have been an incredibly good seal around the tire for the pressure to last as long as it did. wow. Either way, This is the SECOND tube I've cut during assembly, taking the advise to use tire talc on installation. PSH! screw that! I use the same stuff when rock climbing to gain grip on rocks. I don't want grip! I know there's a debate on using vasoline on tubes because it "might" be corrosive, but as I see it, 100 hrs of flying will be made within the next year and this tire and tube will be coming off, so I don't need a 10 year tube here. I thoroughly cleaned up both wheel halves and spread a thin later of vasoline on the inside of the semi-inflated tube, then assembled the wheels. After torquing the an4 bolts, I re-inflated the tubes to a full 70lbs.
Quick note, I read somewhere a long time ago that these 3 an4 bolts that hold the halves together should only be torqued to like 44 in/lbs or something. MAN, I just read the manual and it clearly states 99 in/lbs!!!! When I removed this wheel I noticed one of the bolts would spin easily using just my fingers. BAD! I decided to remove the other main wheel and re-torque it as well. Now that I had both wheel off, I thought it would be smart to go ahead and re-pack the bearings as well, so now both should be good as new and ready to ROLL> That's as long as I arrive tomorrow and see that both tires are still full of air. ;)
' style=

a SPLIT tube!

a SPLIT tube!

' style=

New tube is in

New tube is in

' style=

Both wheels, torqued and ready.

Both wheels, torqued and ready.

' style=










Copyright © 2001-2021 Matronics. All Rights Reserved.