KitLog pro

Powered By Kitlog Pro v2.0

RV-7 Construction Log
' style=
Date:  12-8-2012
Number of Hours:  8.10
Manual Reference:  pp 7-8, 7-10
Brief Description:  Right Wing Skeleton, Ailerons

I started by dimpling the right wing skeleton. I used tank dies everywere except the rib at the skin overlap. On that rib I used substructure dies since it will be the bottom of three layers. I then re-adjusted the sag out of the main spar in preparation for installing the leading edge and main skins.

I was going to install the leading edge now, and install the outboard rib and joint plate later, but decided it would be too difficult to buck some of the rivets. So, I scuffed, cleaned, and primed the joint plate, and will let it cure for a day or so before dimpling and installing it.

I spent the rest of the day on the ailerons. I used the same borrowed bending brake I used on the elevators. To gauge the bend I installed the spar backwards (photo 2). As with the elevators, I clecoed the skin to the bench to prevent it slipping. The aileron skins were quite a bit harder to bend than what I remember the elevator skins being. They are both 0.020, so I'm guessing it's the extra length.

After completing the bends, I fabricated the aileron reinforcement plates, per the instruction manual (before discovering the pre-cut ones...). I then match drilled the plates to the spars, and drilled the bolt holes in the steel brackets to 3/16 and reamed them to #12. I finished up the day by final reaming the nose ribs to the spar.
' style=

Priming the right wing joint plate

Priming the right wing joint plate

' style=

Set up to complete the bend on an aileron skin.

Set up to complete the bend on an aileron skin.

' style=

Match drilling an aileron spar reinforcement plate.

Match drilling an aileron spar reinforcement plate.

' style=










Copyright © 2001-2019 Matronics. All Rights Reserved.