Hopefully 4 months off has been enough to get my mind right after the monumental F-up in the last post... I thought about calling Vans and seeing if there was a way to save this, but after some thought, I decided to just replace all the affected parts so that the final product will be 100% to plans. I don't want to be cruising along in this thing wondering whether or not the tail is going to remain attached! At a minimum, I plan to replace the F-714 Aft Deck, The F-710B bulkhead angle, F-710C spacer, and the HS-714 attach angle. Since I replaced the F-710B angle once before (used wrong material) and had to go to #5 rivets to attach it, I’m considering replacing the F-710 bulkhead as well
I started the repair by removing the aft deck. Drilled the heads off of all the rivets holding the aft deck to the longerons and bulkhead angles, and removed over half of the shop heads. No enlarged holes so far.