Check this out! I saw these roller bearings in the store last night in several sizes and thought "that's it!" Instead of an old piece of NON-aerodynamic rubber, why not a small rolling ball!?! I made a hardpoint with 3/4" ply and located the exact spot that the nose touches the ground with the gear retracted. I then used a hole-saw and drilled out large section of the nose right up to the bottom layers of glass and stopped. I then carved out enough foam to accomidate the hardpoint and roller bearing, opened the hole at the bottom just enough to clear the ball and a little of the housing and buried it all in a bed of Flox. I then laid up 4 plies of BID on top and peel plied the whole mess. Now here's the deal: I don't see this standing up to some kind of slamming down on the runway on a nose up landing. This serves as a way to keep from scratching my nose while parked even if someone bumps the airplane and causes it to move. Rolling motion is better than scraping. I sent a picture of this to another builder and his response was, "Nose up landing + steel + sparks + fuel leak = Bad Day" My response was, steel or rubber, a nose up landing will ALWAYS be a bad day, :) I'm stoked to set it down on the nose after cure.
Note: The paint inside the battery compartment turned out pretty bad so I didn't have any problem sanding it down to glass for this job. I'll be adding filler and paint again soon. :)