KitLog pro

Powered By Kitlog Pro v2.0

Building Integrity
' style=
Date:  9-20-2014
Number of Hours:  2.00
Manual Reference:  ch 16
Brief Description:  The previous Builder needs to be jailed

I tell ya what, there is NO WAY you can screw up measurements worse than the previous builder. The rudder cable exit inside the wing roots are soo bad that Serious rubbing occurs on the cable pulleys. My first attempt to change the exit location was drilling through the wing root glass next to the cable conduit enought to pull the conduit into position however, the 1/4" bit snagged the conduit and ripped it right out of the wing along with the frayed and split rudder cable. DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I spent the next 45 minutes routing a new rudder cable and installing it. What a PITA. I decided that the day had been long enough that I needed to go home and ponder of this one for a bit and decide what my fix is going to be. The BEST fix would mean taking both wings off, redrilling the conduit path, and replacing both cables. The second best would be to dig out the wing root enough to bend the conduit into position without too much of a hard turn that the cable has to make. The final option would be to make a hard turn outside of the wing root in an S bend and glass the conduit to the upper skin.
The First one will take a LONG time and require more helpers for removing the wings AGAIN unless I can find a 5 foot drill bit and go in through the aileron channel. hmmm. That might do it. Otherwise, the second option has HIGH risk of failure and damaging the conduit and cable. so If I have to remove the wings, then I most likely will go for option 3 and hope the bend doesn't create too much friction on the cable or wear to both. The fix will commence tomorrow or Monday.
' style=

New cable run

New cable run

' style=

New rudder cable

New rudder cable

' style=

WAY OFF!!!

WAY OFF!!!

' style=










Copyright © 2001-2022 Matronics. All Rights Reserved.