KitLog pro

Powered By Kitlog Pro v2.0

Building Integrity
' style=
Date:  1-26-2020
Number of Hours:  1.00
Manual Reference:  Section 2
Brief Description:  Balance

The new pistons have been performing extremely well and the last borescope showed that breakin is going well. Only 11 hours on the egine now so at least another 20 before I decide to switch oils. I've noticed that the engine, since new, has had a vibration between 2300-2900 RPM. Of course, this is in the cruise rpm range so I'm aiming to solve the issue that I believe is more TUNE related than anything else, however, can be mitigated with a proper dynamic balance. This of course is expensive and time consuming and a little pointless during break in so Instead I went ahead and re-finished the dynamic balancer from Balance Masters. In the past, this balancer has made noticeable improvements. This time I'm going to be installing it between the engine prop flange and prop extension, instead of right up against the prop. Originally, I was going to refinish the prop this week, but I really want to see the effectiveness of this balancer so it's the only change I'm going to make for the next test flight.
While the paint cures on the balancer, I also trimmed the deflectors inside the cylinder plenums another 1/8" as each bank of cylinders are within 10 degrees now, and it's getting close to final configuration. The biggest hurdle is a huge 20 degree spread between the left and right bank that is due to the air path being obstructed by the oil dipstick location. Instead of blocking off the airflow, I'm going to try and balance the pressure between each plenum using a 1/2" tube connecting the two. Shot in the dark but will offer the most efficient solution. A few more flights and this airplane is going to get boring to fly with no problems to deal with :)
' style=

refinished dynamic balancer

refinished dynamic balancer

' style=










Copyright © 2001-2021 Matronics. All Rights Reserved.