KitLog pro

Powered By Kitlog Pro v2.0

Zenith CruZer & Sonex Logs
' style=
Date:  3-24-2018
Number of Hours:  3.20
Manual Reference:  C75-WA-2
Brief Description:  Begin wing skins

This setup took a bit of time to get right (as in correct). The pictorial guide says one thing, the homebuilt help provides another, and I did a hybrid.

The first step when skinning the wings is to begin with the lower skins. The first parts to be attached are a series of 8 L-angles which serve as stiffeners for the skins. They are placed between the aft ribs (see pic 1). The skin is pre-drilled to #40. You cut the angles to length, measure in 10mm from one end and drill a #40 hole. Cleco in position, then turn the wing over, find teh centerline of the angle, and backdrill into the angle for each of about 8 holes per angle. Since the angle is just basically dangling from one cleco, you must hold it up with your hand while drilling and hope that the drill stays on the centerline.

I cut the angle to the specified length, but they were juuuust long enough that they were hanging up on the rib flanges, so I had to "adjust" the length to fit. Not bad, just tedius.

I had previously quickly installed the spar splice bracket that joins the inner and outer spars. I noticed when lifting the wing that there was a pretty fair amount of flex at that joint (was not riveted), so I decided to rivet that in place. As a reminder, the original parts were drilled wrong; these were replacement parts. Well, when I first re-installed it after deburring, the wing was still right-side up with the skin on the bottom. Of course, I installed the bracket OVER the lower skin instead of it being between the spar and the skin. No problem; was still just cleco'd. Flipped the wing over, reinstalled, ensured both spar halves were level, and cleco'd every hole in the splice to hopefully provide enough rigidity to prevent flex while riveting. Riveted the aft flange; can't rivet the upper and lower flanges until the skins are ready to be riveted.

Since the wing was now bottom side up, I drilled all the L-angle holes. I then up-drilled to #30 (final size) in preparation for riveting. I'll need to remove the angles and debur, then riv
' style=

Initial L angle placement

Initial L angle placement

' style=

trying to eliminate any source of bend

trying to eliminate any source of bend

' style=

Splice plate riveted & L-angles up-drilled

Splice plate riveted & L-angles up-drilled

' style=










Copyright © 2001-2020 Matronics. All Rights Reserved.